Reinvention: The National Hardware Show at 73
If you can reinvent yourself at age 73 (certainly celebrity-singer Madonna has plans), you might just be worth checking out. Looks like the National Hardware Show is still evolving.
“This year’s show, our 73rd edition, begins a new era,” said Rich Russo, vice president of NHS. “For years, we have served the industry as a way for hardware & home improvement professionals to connect face-to-face. While that won’t change, in addition to an all-new logo and look, we’re enhancing the show experience with new interactive exhibits, new ways to showcase trends, enhanced NRHA All-Industry Conference, new participation from retail leaders, and much more. Our new logo incorporates an abstract representation of a bolt, where everything around us is held together by this streamlined piece of hardware—illustrating how NHS truly is ‘the tool that powers your business.’”
As The Paint Dealer says every year—don’t miss it, and this year, just like in years past…we mean it.
The National Hardware Show, if you’re new to this paint world, is an annual gathering for retailers, manufacturers, and media to explore the latest trends shaping the future of the home improvement industry in products, retail business, innovation and more.
There will be over 2,500 interactive exhibits across more than 15 product categories, new experiential product displays, special events and, of course…more! Attendee badge registration grants you access to the NRHA All-Industry Conference, personalized exhibitor and product recommendations, the NHS Mobile App, and other planning features to help you get the most out of the event.
Imagine a Reimagination
The show organizers let us in on this year’s highlights, which oddly enough do not include the brain-taco stand down the street from the convention center.
• NHS has a brand-new look and a new approach for empowering retailers. Serving the home improvement industry for nearly 75 years, the show continues to grow and expand its categories and offerings to keep customers in the know and ahead of their competition. The updated branding (new logo) communicates this evolution.
• With 15+ major product categories spanning everything from hardware and tools to eco-friendly items, goods proudly made in the USA, and more building materials than ever before, attendees will get a firsthand look today at the products customers will be asking for tomorrow. For a full scope of National Hardware Show product categories, visit nhs18.com/productcategories.
• The Reimagine Retail program returns this year. This program asks retaliers to submit a business improvement plan on how they plan to invest in technology to improve their stores. A panel of judges will review the submissions and will award the winning retailer $100,000 to make their idea a reality (see photo, below left. Learn more details about this year’s program at nhs18.com/reimagineretail.
Enter the Interactive
You’ll hear the word “interactive” a lot at the show, and here are three new features to make good on that.
• The Smart Home Virtual Reality experience will give you an immersive look at the home of the future and what you can do to become go-to destinations for customers in this category. Take a virtual tour of the products, accessories and whole-home integrations customers will be asking for in the years ahead.
• It’s not paint, but who doesn’t like a good BBQ? Ultimate Backyard in Tailgate, Backyard & BBQ presents the latest and greatest in grilling, outdoor living and more.
• Operation Tiny Home will offer an exclusive look at the tiny home building process and the products specially made for these homes. Operation Tiny Home will be hosting a three-day Tiny Home Building Workshop with the host of Tiny Home Nation, Zach Giffin, where veterans will become proficient with tiny home construction practices and general carpentry skills. You can hang out and watch the building process from start to finish!
As in the past several years, Lancaster Distributing’s Las Vegas show will co-locate with NHS, this time the walk is even shorter, as Lancaster in the Convention Center itself in Central Hall Rooms N101, N102 and N103. It’s a smaller show than NHS, with some crossover exhibitors but also many companies that are only exhibiting at Lancaster.
For over 60 years, Lancaster has demonstrated innovative leadership in the paint sundry industry. With the corporate office located in Spartanburg, South Carolina Lancaster originally served just a small portion of the Carolinas. Today, it has expanded its market area to include all of North America, The Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and South America.
With the acquisition of Dynamic Paint Products based out of Toronto, Canada in 2014, Lancaster has expanded to seven distribution centers throughout the United States and Canada. “This network of distribution centers enables us to provide dependable time-sensitive deliveries to customers throughout our service area,” says the company. “We have a motivated team of more than 270 associates, including 60+ sales representatives committed to reliably providing our customers the products, price and service they deserve.” Stop by to visit the Lancaster folks and get some great deals on paint and sundries!
Just like products themselves, trade shows have features and benefits. Here’s what you get with Lancaster:
Networking: The show will allow you to meet face to face with manufacturers and see new and exciting products hitting the market.
Cash Spiffs: Many exhibitors will offer cash spiffs as an additional incentive, giving you the opportunity to leave with cash in hand.
Deep Discounts: Lancaster’s Buying Show will be offering tremendous deals to give you a competitive edge to grow your business in the coming year.
Delayed Shipping & Extended Payment Terms: Not only will you receive the deepest discounts of the year, you can receive up to net 90 days to pay after delivery, giving you the ability to stock up on key items for the spring but the advantage of not having to pay until summer.
Dealer Reception: Take a break from your wheeling and dealing on May 9, 5:30pm – 7:30pm, poolside at the Westgate Las Vegas Resort & Casino, just a short walk from the show itself.
Some always-popular departments of NHS are the new product and invention sections. You never know what’s going to take off that got its start at a booth at the National Hardware Show. Take a look around and be the first of your block to stock these new products!
If you see any products or concepts that really catch you, please let us know so we can share your thoughts with our readers. And just like there’s always “more” to a show, there’s “more” to this article: click on our booth highlights article so find out about some products and promotions at the show.
Brands and Companies at the Lancaster Show.
Acme Sponge & Chamois
Advanced Protective Products
Dumond (Peel Away)
HANDy Paint Products
Henkel (Loctite, Polyseamseal)
Intertape Polymer Group
Linzer Products Corp.
Merit Décor & Flooring
My Wood Wall
ProLuxe Wood Finish
Rust-Oleum (XIM, Zinsser)
Saint Gobain Abrasives
Seymour of Sycamore
May 8: 9-5
May 9: 9-5
May 10: 9-1
May 8: 9-5
May 9: 9-3
Both Shows Located in the Las Vegas Convention Center